Our Training Academy has successfully trained thousands of new and returning Independent Contractors for their prospects at sea and beyond.
Training is led by industry leaders with real on-the-job experience in leading successful art programs at sea.
Job training is held at Park West’s location either in Florida or Michigan, or both, over the course of nine days. Training is also held in Hong Kong approximately twice a year for interested applicants living in Asia.
- Instruction by Industry Leaders: Gather extensive fine art, sales, and auctioneering experience from successful Principal Auctioneers.
- New Skills: Learn new business, public speaking, auctioneering, marketing, and organizational skills.
- Meet our Artists: Expand your art knowledge at the source by meeting a series of world-class artists.
- One-on-One Instruction: Develop your skills with individual attention from our instructors.
- Interactive Training: Get a glance of life on board with mock auctions and previews in a comfortable, collaborative, and encouraging setting.
- Make New Friends: Meet other Principal Auctioneers, Gallery Directors, and Art Associates from all over the world.
After successfully completing a round of interviews and preliminary paperwork, candidates are offered an official invitation to training. Once candidates complete training, they are immediately assigned their first cruise ship assignment.
Study and preparation guides are provided to candidates prior to their arrival at training. Candidates are encouraged and expected to study these materials in order to maximize their learning potential and performance at training. Those who excel are well-prepared, eager to learn, confident, passionate, and friendly—qualities that translate into a solid foundation for entrepreneurial success in the fine art business.
Each candidate’s performance at training is a factor in his or her cruise ship assignment. Top training graduates are often placed on high-performing cruise ships and given the opportunity to be mentored under the most successful Principal Auctioneers. Therefore, it is in a candidate’s best interest to fully prepare.
Candidates leave training with a newfound appreciation for fine art and auctioneering, in addition to a myriad of new skills that will contribute to their success in any future career field.
Training and Job Expenses
Being prepared to work on board a cruise ship means completing all necessary paperwork, forms, and certifications. This is the case for any position on any cruise line—details below.
- Hotel Accommodations: We provide hotel accommodations for training for new and returning candidates. Additionally, living accommodations are provided on board at no cost.
- Transportation: We provide daily transportation from the hotel to the training center for new and returning training candidates. If any medical exams need to be completed during training, your transportation is also provided.
- Airfare and Ground Transportation: New candidates must purchase a one-way plane ticket to training, as well as arrange ground transportation to the hotel. Transportation costs for returning training candidates are covered.